4.21.2011

and that's how ash sees it.

i love holidays.
i love the decor, the meals, the activities, the traditions, the presents, the whole shebang.
but if there's one thing i love it is the CANDY.
i take after my mother in the fact that i have a sickening obsession with candy.
i love ALL kinds of candy.
just the mere word makes my mouth water.
mmmm... candy.

anyway, i feel like holidays are the prime time to purchase candy. but hands down, without a doubt, easily and indisputably, my favorite holiday candy selection falls at easter time.

my heart jumped for joy the first time i saw easter stuff in vons! i've waited 11 months for april to fall again for this very reason. easter candy is superior to all others.
so without further adieu, here is my guide to easter treats as an expert candy connoisseur- the good, the bad, and the dangerously addictive.

1. the classic chocolate bunny.
look at it.
how can you not enjoy taking a bite out of something so cute and creative? i've gotten my own personal one of these beauties every year since i could chew. whether it's hollow, not hollow, or eaten with a spoonful of peanut butter, I LOVE.

2. oh gosh. as if the reeses trees at christmas and the pumpkins at halloween weren't good enough- AN EGG! i am obsessed with these. the big ones, the small ones, doesn't matter. all i know is that reeses were brilliant to begin with, and now this giant egg-shaped form only enhances the eating experience.
this treat is an all-time favorite. i've been consuming one a day throughout all of april thanks to a secret stash in my office. sometimes two a day. or three.

3. peeps. whose sick ass came up with the idea to create this "treat"? and i'm not talking "sick" as in cool or awesome. i'm talking "sick" as in i'd rather puke. i hate peeps. i can tolerate eating one, but after that i feel sick to my stomach.
gag. the goo, the little grimy coating on top... yucky.

4. sweetart and starbust jelly beans.
LOVE. i usually get them mixed together in a plastic egg, so i figure i can combine my reviews. i love the starburst because the red, green, and pink beans are amazing. they are all strongly flavored and almost juicy. the sweetart ones are a more pastel color, and the outer layer brings a slight crunch that the starburst can't offer. both are delish.

5. the gummy bunny.
i wouldn't particularly call these my favorite candy, although they are tasty. however, once i put one in my mouth i cannot stop. they are so addictive! my sweet fiancee bought me a bag of these and they were gone by the end of the night. the purple and orange ones are a little on the iffy side, but the pinks are to die for.
they fulfill my craving for sweet and sour.

6. cadburry mini eggs.
all i can say is mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
i love the crunch of the outer shell, and the smooth milk chocolate on the inside. i love the small bite-sized shape, perfect for popping a few in the mouth at a time.
shout-out to my homegirl brenda jacobson who made some chocolate cookies with crushed mini eggs in it. definitely a fave.

7. but when the mini eggs just wont do it for you, the geniuses in the hershey company fashioned an egg that meets all needs. the milk chocolate shell has grooves in it and the creme filling is thick and rich.
however, don't eat too many of these ones. i know from experience that 1 or 2 is good for a while.

8. i saved the best for last.
sweetart chicks and bunnies.
absolutely perfect for any glovebox, nightstand, or purse.
i LOOOVE these. i'd have to say that these are my favorite favorite. i eat them for a month straight and then they're gone for a whole year. it's heartbreaking, really.
but don't worry, i purchased my third bag today.
here's the thing. i love sweetarts as it is. but take three of the top four best flavors, and mold them into chicks and bunnies... and you have a work of candy art. i love looking at a little pink chick and then popping it in my mouth. i like them to crunch, and i like them to suck on. and i like when i leave them in my car and the blazing hot sun makes them soft.

well world, there you have it.
i like my chocolate and i like my sweetarts.
easter candy is the greatest so take advantage of the next week while you can!
... and that's how ashley sees it.

5 comments:

  1. Were you wondering what your readers think? Let me tell you...

    I too hate peeps. They are gross, ugly and ghetto. Not a fan of the jelly bean style of eggs. I have not had any sweet tart chick/bunny things this year. I haven't for a few years. I forgot about them completely. I better go on a search tomorrow. I just remembered why i probably haven't eaten them...I feel weird about eating bunny shaped things. I do not eat the hollow chocolate bunnies. I find them odd...and how do you decide where to start eating them?
    It just seems so awkward ya know?

    Mini cadburry eggs...I honestly think I've had 15 bags within the last few months (not the small ones either). Um and i totally agree with you about the larger ones with the amazing cream...you can have 1 maybe 2. But have you had the minis of those? I love them. Try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this post. haha, but i have to admit you forgot a very important signature easter candy... ROBIN EGGS. you know, the whopper candies? they are by far my fav. and i love our homegirl brenda for creating such a cookie. cadbury eggs are theeee bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy candy. You got it right with Peeps are nasty. I had some mini cadburry eggs this year for the first time and they are amazing. I love Resse's and for some reason the egg ones are the best go figure. My big obsession is the after Easter candy sales. It is two of my favorite things sweets and clearacne. It can be a dangoues combo for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you! You are definitely my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashli -- you crack me up. What a FUN post!

    ReplyDelete