8.29.2011

first day of school finds

today was the first day of school.
it was good! i really enjoyed myself.
one of my favorite things about college is the ability to create my own schedule. taking advantage of this freedom, my first class started at 1:00 pm.
i woke up, lounged around, ate a costco muffin, and took care of some paperwork in the apartment's office.
for some reason i was really excited for school this morning! all i could think of in my head was nemo saying "first day of school! first day of school! first day of school!!!"

above is the first day of school outfit i carefully selected a few weeks ago. pinstriped shorts to keep cool, the sweater to give pop of color, and the leftovers from yesterdays curl to say "yeah my outfit is cute, but im not doing my hair for all y'all. im engaged." as far as i'm concerned, they're lucky i wasn't in basketball shorts and a youth conference t-shirt. give it a few more weeks.

and let's be real- the first thing i did on campus was buy chocolate milk from the creamery. you know it's in the list of "top 5 reasons i came back to byu" haha.

i feel like when i come to school i transform into some nerdy/artsy fool. my first class was in the MOA (museum of art) and i arrived a punctual 1.5 hours early. long story.
anyway, i didn't mind. i was secretly kind of excited to walk around the museum.
i love looking at all of the different exhibits, but i try to limit myself to 1 or 2 a visit so that i always have a reason to come back. last year on occasion when i had nothing to do between classes, i found myself in the moa staring at this painting:
all the time. i think it's my favorite favorite. i wrote a paper about this piece and Carl Bloch freshman year... ever since then i've been obsessed. there is so much to it, you can't just glance at it. so much detail in the background and on the faces.
when i was little, john would sit down with me and we'd look at art books. he's the one who introduced me to art, and we share a love for paintings. i knew who vincent van gogh was before i knew what a playstation was.

while walking around the museum, i came across something that i can't stop thinking about!
it's like a giant cube made of books... just solid books. i had to force myself to walk away from it haha.

its kind of mesmerizing.
and it was huge!!! i've never seen anything like it in my life. what made me really happy was that all of the edges were almost perfectly smooth. there were a few sticking out, but the top and the corners looked completely even.

and i saved the best for last. i really hope this video works...
my favorite find of the first day of school:
random freaks dancing in the quad.
enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. haha i love this post! and that video! and now i need to go to the MOA!!

    ReplyDelete