2.28.2013

first day of school: practicum style

today was like the christmas morning of school days this semester. 
i could hardly sleep last night; i was so excited. i've had my outfit planned for weeks. today i started my first practicum! basically, this means all of my classes stop (except for two stupid night ones) and rather than being in class on byu campus, i am placed in an elementary classroom for a whole month. A WHOLE MONTH! i'll be in the same classroom for four weeks just observing, learning, teaching occasional lessons, and loving my life. 
this is a beautiful, amazing thing because: 
1. i can finally put all of my knowledge/strategies/techniques/materials/theories to USE! i'm sick of being told what to do, i just want to go do it! you know what i mean? i'm getting antsy.
2. my liaison (boss lady) is also my FAVORITE teacher slash idol. 
3. my morning commute has just been cut down from 35 miles to 9 miles. halle-freaking-lujah. 
4. i can get face-to-face advice from a real-live teacher. 
5. i can ask my mentor teacher the purposes behind her actions. most of the time when we go observe, we're placed in a classroom mid-lesson for 20 minutes, then we leave without saying a word to the teacher. every time, i have so many unanswered questions! 
6. i will only drive to provo a maximum of TWO days a week rather than the usual four or five.
i'm straight up giddy about this one, guys. giddy. 
7. i will become familiar with the elementary school system from a teacher aspect. 
(really that's just code for: i get to go in the teacher's lounge!)
8.  this will confirm that teaching is my calling in life. 
9. minimal homework assignments for the next month! 
10. i get to plan, prepare for, and execute my very own lesson plans. hooray! 

i feel like the past three years have all led up to this moment! i will do an early childhood practicum now (1st grade), an older one during the summer (3rd, 4th, or 5th grade), and start my internship in the fall. i can see the light at the end of the tunnel! i am so ready for this. the next four weeks should be an interesting roller coaster of emotions. i am so happy and excited but i'm also slightly nervous, intimidated, confused, and inadequate.  i'm sure as the days go by i will feel more and more comfortable.  at least i had a few students welcome me with love notes today!
wish me luck! 

2 comments:

  1. Love this!!!! We start ours in one week, but we're starting with the older grades first....yikes!!!! Have sooo much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete